Saturday, April 14, 2007

more odds 'n ends

*Had a great day yesterday! Mom and Dad came up for the day...we don't see them nearly enough! We had a combined celebration for Annie and Mom's birthdays. (Which, of course, included more cake that I didn't need to be eating.) Mostly we just hung out. Grammy and Papa spoiled the munchkins. (Of course, that goes without saying!) Papa and the boys spent a lot of time playing, which allowed Mom and I to sit and chat. As part of the The 30 Day Organizational Challenge, I have started going through and weeding out my craft patterns/books. So Mom went through the ones I'd weeded and took what she wanted. And during her spring cleaning, she decided to get rid of a bunch of books that she'd already read. She brought the box up for me. I'd already read about half of them, but still ended up with all of these...



Now, of course, I need more books like another hole in the head. But I believe it's physically impossible to say "no" to good books...especially free ones!

*Okay, Carrie...here's my desk...



Carrie tagged me. She had to take a photo of her desk and post it. She's got a beautiful roll-top desk. Rich and I have long wanted a desk like hers! Anyway, she tagged me to post a photo of my desk. However, a couple days ago I didn't have a desk. Well not here anyway. The last time we were down visiting Mom and Dad, we found this piano-top desk at an antique store and fell in love. We bought it, but couldn't bring it home then. So yesterday, Mom and Dad brought it up with them. I told Carrie I would pile some crap on it, so it would look more like it will inevitably look in the near future. But I just couldn't bring myself to do it! I have to enjoy it in its pristine beauty for a while first! O.K.--I now tag Stacy and Gail. Let's see which is the neater sister...heehee. I'm actually betting they both have very neat, organized desks.

*We took Mom and Dad out to dinner for Mom's birthday. And while we were out, Mom and I hit Joanns. I wanted to get some fabric to make some little valances for the windows in my craft room. I sort of had a picture in my mind of what kind of fabric I wanted...bright, happy, probably with flowers. And I found the perfect one! But they didn't have enough. So I ended up settling for something else...



I still really like it, but it's not what I was hoping for. I cannot wait to get my room painted and get the curtains up (that is, once I make them).

*Our suspicions were correct...Baker does have thyroid disease. Which as the vet said, is actually good news. It's easy to treat, and not too terribly expensive. He just has to take 2 pills a day, and have is blood checked occasionally. The vet said his lethargy should disappear, as well as all those extra pounds he's gained. Rich and I are so angry at his previous owners. We're convinced they knew about this and simply didn't tell the animal shelter. Maybe for fear no one would adopt him. But we would definitely have adopted him anyway...it was love at first sight! And had we known, it would have saved Baker these past five months of not feeling good. The poor guy put on 15+ pounds in the past 5 months...and that's a lot for a little guy like him! Anyway, we're just so happy that we found out what the problem is and that it's so easily treated.



Well, the to-do list is 10-miles long for the day, so I suppose it's time to sign off.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the desk! I don't blame ya for not piling a bunch of junk on it!! It's beautiful! Thanks for playing along!

So glad you had such a nice time with your parents. It's a nice little change of pace to have company for the day.

Poor Baker! I hope the meds make him feel like a new doggy!

Thank you for your sweet words last night. I really appreciate your kind heart! :o) Little Sadie is a fighter. She's had Sweet's since birth and she'll be 10 in August. Her Sweets has cause many other underlying issues (blood disorder of ITP and she's immuno compromised ... stunted growth, as well) ~ but she has the sweetest soul ever. :o)

gail@more than a song said...

Never turn down free books!
Love your desk.....but I can tell you right now that Stacy's desk will be WAY neater than mine! Do I get to clean it off first?
And it's really not a desk but a table that hubby lets me use!

Hope Baker feels better soon.

Jean said...

If Baker's thyroid condition is anything like mine, he won't lose the weight he gained just because he's now on meds. He'll have to diet and exercise, which since you control what he eats and when he walks is not as hard as when we humans have to diet and make ourselves work out. I had to work hard to lose the weight I gained with my thyroid, and I still have to work to keep it off. You're probably right about the previous owners, but at least he found the right home in the end.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Oh my, you sucked me in with those books. I could barely read the stuff below that, I was so excited about the books!!!

I am glad to hear that Baker "just" has a thyroid problem - you're right, it could be a lot worse. I have a thyroid problem and take meds, and I honestly didn't realize dogs could have that too :)

I won't be able to post a picture of my desk - I don't have one any more! We got me a laptop in March and it just goes with me around the house. I gave the desk to my husband, since he works from home a lot.

Have a great weekend!!!

gail@more than a song said...

Ok, got mine done! But it's no way near as pretty of a desk as yours!
Like the fabric by the way, hope you'll show us a finished product!

Dawn said...

That's good to know his problem is easily treated. I hope he is feeling better soon!

take care,
Dawn