Wednesday, July 18, 2007

words on Wednesday

If not for Melody, I think I would have forgotten all about this week's words. Though maybe that would have been for the best...I had so many new entries this week that I was left feeling a bit stupid.

*cytokine-any of various protein molecules secreted by cells of the immune system (I did know that cyto was cell, but beyond that I was clueless.)

*chiaroscuro-the technique of using light and shade in pictorial representation (Hmmm...probably should have know this as I did begin my college career majoring in art.)

*ataxic-lacking motor coordination

*coruscate-to sparkle and glitter

*cioppino-a stew of fish, shellfish, tomatoes, and white wine (Ewww.)

(All words this week came from Terminal Condition by David Shobin.)

As I said, not a terribly good showing this week. How many of them do you know?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pffffffffft!

None!

LOL!

Jean said...

Cioppino actually doesn't sound all that bad now that I know what it is. However, I already have meat loaf in the oven for Blaine, Don, and my mom. Steve and I will enjoy the side dish of rice and beans. Steve eats dairy but no meat (or fish), and I eat very little meat And you're not stupid in terms of these words, Debi, just ignorant, and as I have told my kids often, there is nothing wrong with being ignorant. It just means you haven't had the opportunity to learn something. The error is not learning something when you have the chance. By looking these words up, you're learning them, and that's what counts. And what a good example you're setting for the kidlets!

Debi said...

Jean-

Touche. I tell Annie the same thing all the time (the stupid/ignorant comparison), when she starts getting hard on herself. Maybe I need to take the advice myself...and in the process start setting a better example there as well.

Melody said...

Interesting words, Debi! I know none of them, LOL.

gail@more than a song said...

Chiaroscuro, I should have known....I think I looked it up a month or 2 ago as I was reading it in one of my books! Some mind I have.
Cioppino, I do know that one! From reading so many cookbooks I think.