Wednesday, July 25, 2007

words on Wednesday...

Three new words for me this week. #1 is a word I feel like I should have known. Like I've looked it up before, and then quickly forgot it. #2 is a word I feel I should have known because the Maxidoodle would qualify to have his picture beside it in the dictionary. And #3, though a fine enough word, is completely and totally new to me.

*nascent-coming into existence; emergent (from And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts)

*obstreperous-noisily and stubbornly defiant (from To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee)

*philippic-a passionate speech intended to arouse opposition (again, from To Kill A Mockingbird)

Okay, I just realized what I said above needs amended...I have definitely run into the last two words before, because I've read this book before. Forgive me...I'm just not with it today. Anyway, which ones did you know?

5 comments:

Jean said...

I'm two for three this week. Knew the first two, but not the third. Yes, this means that I've never read To Kill a Mockingbird. Never seen Titanic either, but I know how the story ends. (Not to spoil it for anyone, but the ship sinks.) I have always (well, as long as I've known the word) loved "obstreperous." One of those very fun-sounding words when one knows the meaning.

Anonymous said...

Pfffft, none! LOL!

Debi said...

Awww Jean...I've never seen Titanic either. And now I guess I don't need too, huh?

gail@more than a song said...

Well sad, I've read Mockingbird and don't remember those words! Yep my brain is so on top of things.

Jean said...

Pleased to have saved you from it, Debi. It was the least I could do.