Thursday, September 13, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

This week's Booking Through Thursday:

Okay . . . picture this (really) worst-case scenario: It’s cold and raining, your boyfriend/girlfriend has just dumped you, you’ve just been fired, the pile of unpaid bills is sky-high, your beloved pet has recently died, and you think you’re coming down with a cold. All you want to do (other than hiding under the covers) is to curl up with a good book, something warm and comforting that will make you feel better.

What do you read?

(Any bets on how quickly somebody says the Bible or some other religious text? A good choice, to be sure, but to be honest, I was thinking more along the lines of fiction…. Unless I laid it on a little strong in the string of catastrophes? Maybe I should have just stuck to catching a cold on a rainy day….)


I think I'll have to go with The Stand by Stephen King. My all-time favorite book. An old friend. One of those stories where you just totally lose yourself. (And besides, a cold won't seem nearly so bad compared to "Captain Trips"!)

16 comments:

Annie said...

I would start over on the Mark of the Lion series, I really want to re-read those books!
I haven't read fiction in so long. I am ready to read a good book!

gautami tripathy said...

Stephen King. He has the knack to hold our interest till the end.

Stephanie said...

A person after my own heart! I put down Stephen King in general as an answer, but The Stand is by far my favorite!

Happy Thursday!

heather (errantdreams) said...

It's amazing (or perhaps not?) how many people have replied with Stephen King. His work is wonderfully distracting, and in some ways very comforting given that good tends to triumph over evil. Another participant mentioned the additional benefit of envisioning the bad guy as your ex or boss or whatever, so you can feel good when he gets his. ;)

Angela Young said...

And I've never read Stephen King ... so we've both got discoveries to make.

Katie said...

Yeah Stephen King is good. Maybe Misery?

Debi said...

Kathleen--
Yeah, if nothing else Misery will certainly make you realize that your own problems are pretty insignificant, huh?

CeeCee said...

Wow, Stephen King? I never thought of him during a rough patch.

Julia said...

It great to read all time favorite book. I tend to think that would make me feel better too :)

Great answers Happy BTT!

Dawn said...

It's been a long time since I have read that book but I LOVED it!! I actually picked up a new SK book to read but haven't gotten to it yet.

Enjoy your reading.

take care,
Dawn

gail@more than a song said...

Been gone and trying to catch up! I like light and easy! Recently I commented somewhere that I would read almost any fiction book for some reason I had a complete brain malfunction and later realized that I really don't read mystery/suspense/thriller stuff at ALL! I don't want anything scary.

Melody said...

Stephen King! I notice he's one of the popular picks! I also love John Saul and Dean Koontz's books.

chrisa511 said...

I'm right there with you when it comes to King for comfort reading. King, Orson Scott Card, and Anne Rice all do the trick for me ;)

MissMeliss said...

The thing about Stephen King is that he starts out spinning a folksy tale about a cute town, normal kids, great people, etc, and then a clown peeks up at you from the gutter, and everything flips.

The Stand is one of my favorites of his works. Gripping.

-- Melissa

Alice said...

My sister's a fan of Stephen King. Happy weekend!

Dewey said...

I love The Stand, too. It's my favorite King novel.