Monday, January 07, 2008

one down, thirteen to go

Survived day one of Rich's absence unscathed. Actually, I think the boys must have been feeling sorry for me or something...they couldn't possibly have been more delightful than they were for most of the day. By supper, the rowdiness level had surpassed comfortable levels. But that may have been my fault...we made monkey bread during the afternoon. And of course, it's a well known fact that massive doses of sugar lead to elevated rowdiness levels, right? The rowdiness continued through bathtime, but I have to admit it could have been worse...I didn't even have to change my clothes afterward. Finally, during our chapter of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM, they mellowed a bit.

Gray always feels the need to fight bedtime, partly out of habit and partly out of a true feeling of injustice, I think. But the battle wasn't too bad, especially after my sweet helper, Annie, agreed to go into my room to read. (Gray sleeps on a mattress in our room, because he is petrified of being alone, and of the dark, and of...) Of course, that's when Max reminded me that I said that "maybe" he could sleep in bed with me while Daddy was gone. "Maybe" turned to "yes"...surprise, surprise. So here's who's keeping Rich's side of the bed warm for him in his absence...




On a totally unrelated note:

I have decided to drop out of Becky's Jane Austen Challenge. I know, I know...what a quitter, huh? But I tried. Really I did. I got Sense and Sensibility out of the library last week, and started reading. But I just couldn't get into it. I feel like I really gave it a chance, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I was not enjoying it at all, and figured that there are way too many books I do want to read to make myself suffer through something I didn't like. Not like Jane Austen...I suppose that makes me a heathen, huh?

19 comments:

Jupiter said...

Awwww :) I'm glad you survived Day One. I hope they continue to feel sorry for you! LOL

That you for admitting that Jane Austen isn't your cup of tea. It isn't mine either and I always feel like an outcast when I admit that :P

Carl V. Anderson said...

You don't like Jane Austen?!?! Burn the witch! Burn her!!!

Hehe...all books are not for all people, don't let it get to ya.

gail@more than a song said...

Fun picture! Glad day one is down!
My kids would sleep with me when hubby was gone, more b/c I wanted them to I think!

Joy said...

I'm learning to do that, too! Good for you. I am going to watch 2 movies for that challenge because I couldn't see myself reading them. :)

I hope your next book choice is a winner!

Debi said...

Rebecca-

Hey, we can be outcasts together...just watch out for Carl, he's got a torch and he may know how to use it!

chrisa511 said...

I'm scared to even attempt my 2 Jane Austen books now! Carl may just fly down here with a damn torch if I don't like them! LOL! I know I'm not a big fan of that period of literature, but I'm hoping I like her style better....really hoping. We'll see when I get to them.

Glad the kids were good for you! Do you have your monkey bread recipe on your recipe blog? I'm going to have to go look. I've been wanting to make that for ages, but I don't have a recipe for it!

Unknown said...

Oh, but he's so cute!

Debi said...

Chris-

Oh crap. Not only am I going to burned at the stake, but now I'm going to out of the running for Mother of the Year, too...because I have to admit that we used a "kit" we got for Christmas to make our monkey bread.

Melissa-

I'd have to agree, but then I am his mommy.

Jean said...

Debi & Chris,
Want me to dig thru my recipe notebook and find the monkey bread recipe I have? It uses store-bought bread dough and is super-easy. I'm also willing to share the cinnamon roll recipe my kids kill for, but it's homemade the whole way and a bit, no, a lot, more effort.

CJ said...

Your kids are beautiful, by the way. And why is it they really do look like angels when they're asleep?

cjh

Eva said...

Sense and Sensibility is my least favourite Austen (I'd venture to say I don't like it, and I love her other books). So there's a chance you might enjoy a different one. :) Of course you're not a heathen if you don't like it!

Melody said...

I totally understand that feeling, Debi. There were two times that my husband went to Germany for two weeks and I felt so lonely and helpless, with only my two-year-old daughter to keep me company. It was ok if she behaved, but you know toddlers...

As for Jane Austen's books, I have yet to read her books, although I have a few of them in my TBR pile. Actually, you don't have to feel bad because reading preference varies with different people.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Aww, what an adorable bed warmer you have there! I'm so glad you guys had a good first day. That's probably the hardest. I hope each day flies by and you guys enjoy this time together. Hang in there, you can do it :)

You know, I don't know that I remember reading a Jane Austen book growing up. I know I haven't read one lately. I plan to record most of the Austen stuff on PBS starting this Sunday though. I can do movies a lot better than the books, probably! LOL :)

P.S. In case you hadn't checked, our website is down. And my laptop died. And we're having massive computer problems here. It may be a while, but eventually I shall return :)

Stephanie said...

Well....glad you made it through the first day. Hope the rest go just as smoothly. (though I have a feeling it may be a long few weeks!! )

It took me a while to get into Persuasion, but I really enjoyed it when I did. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it through a few others!

chrisa511 said...

Debi, LOL, you crack me up!! Don't feel bad at all. I've drooled enough over your other recipes on that blog. I'm going to have to start trying some of them!

Jean, I'd LOVE your monkey bread recipe :) I've been looking for one for awhile so I'd guarantee you that I'd try it out ;)

DesLily said...

I did like the MOVIES of Emma and Sense and Sensibility, but I KNOW I wouldn't enjoy reading them! I'm the same way with Sci Fi... love to watch the movies, but do not enjoy reading it.. strange I know!

But you are so right that after trying it's best to set it down and grab something you know you will enjoy. It's good to give it a try though, one never really knows what might grab them. But it never takes too long before realizing what we "don't like"!

Carl V. Anderson said...

The movies based on Austen's books are great, but I have to admit I am one of the one's who loves her books as well. She was an amazing author with a tremendous grasp on language and situations. Classics are always interesting because they can be so divisive. Some people just don't enjoy period stuff either because of the language or because of the subject matter or both. It is perfectly fine. It isn't like there is a shortage of great stuff to read.

Ana S. said...

Don't feel bad about Jane Ausen...we can't all like everything! I'm going to try her for the first time this year and I have no idea if I'll like her. I hope nobody vists me with a torch if I don't :P

Becky said...

I'm sorry to see you leave the challenge. But I understand. The movies are a lot easier to handle than the books at times. But even they aren't for everyone I suppose. So if you don't want to watch two movies, I'll let you go in peace and with no judgment from my end. :)