Sunday, June 01, 2008

trying to get my act together

After an exhausting weekend of hosting both guests (my parents were here) and a garage sale, I'm feeling terribly behind on everything else. Which definitely includes blog reading...it's amazing how incredibly overwhelming it can become after just a couple of missed days, isn't it? And as I sat here starting to play catch-up, I realized I'd forgotten to post this week's acquisitions to the reading pile. And I know you're all just dying to hear who earned points this week, aren't you? O.K., maybe not. But I need to update nonetheless. I was a bit better about buying, only one added to the pile in that manner. Another added through J.Kaye's Book Raffles...thank you J.Kaye! And four picked up from the library. Why can I not stop myself from picking up so many library books?!! Why, when I know perfectly well that I cannot possibly finish them all in time? I just can't stop myself...and I'm willing to bet some of you know just what I mean, don't you?

Anyway, on to the blame placing:

*The Massacre at El Mozote by Mark Danner (No blame, just one I've been wanting...this is the one I bought.)

*Through the Devil's Door by Timothy J. Clifford (No blame. This is the one I won.)

*Sky Burial by Xinran (Point for Natasha. This sounded like it might be enjoyable and I need an X author. Library book.)

*The Lost Executioner by Nic Dunlop (Impulse pick-up from the library.)

*Disposable People by Kevin Bales (Point for Eva. Library book.)

*Raising Cain by Dan Kindlon, Ph.D. and Michael Thompson, Ph.D. (Point for Somer. Library book.)

If I've figured things correctly, Eva has pulled into a tie with Dewey for the lead. And we've got two new players to the game, with Natasha and Somer. (Yes, I know that no one has had any say whatsoever when it comes to "playing" this little game...I'm quite good at amusing myself, huh? And someone will eventually be winning a prize, so hopefully you'll all forgive me for including you in my personal amusement.)

12 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Sheesh...it truly does sound like an exhausting weekend! Hope you can get some R&R in soon. If you need a good pick me up come stop by my blog ;)

I love this points game :D I hope you keep playing it forever...I swear it's a highlight of my week, lol.

Anonymous said...

LOL @ you! I am so glad these books have a place to go to after the review is posted. If I didn't have friends commenting, then I'd be in serious trouble!

Eva said...

I love the points game too!! It makes me laugh. :)

And you know how you asked me for some recommendations for Middle East non-fiction reading? Well I have a whole post about it that's going up this week! *evil cackle*

Bookfool said...

You are too funny! I love your blame game.

I'm behind on blog reading, too, for totally different reasons. Hope you have a couple of relaxing days. Just kick your feet up and read. Pretend you don't have kids. Okay, yeah, I know that doesn't work but it's a nice thought. :)

kreed said...

Ick...garage sale! They are so much work. Did you at least make some money?

Melody said...

I just love reading your posts about this blame game, Debi. And the best thing is, I get to introduce to more books, which is always a good thing IMO. ;P

Ana S. said...

It's not just yourself you're amusing, worry not :P

I know what you mean about library books. If my library allowed more than five books and for more than two weeks (not enough time and not enough books, I think) I'd have tons out all the time.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I totally understand about the library, it's a total addiction for me as well.

Sounds like an incredibly busy weekend, hope the garage sale went well!

Have a great day :)

Dewey said...

Ah! Tied with Eva! This game is bringing out the competitive streak in me, a streak I usually deny having.

Anyway, having guests is one of the most exhausting things ever. I hope you give yourself relaxing week to recover from it!

And the library? What are they thinking, putting all those free books out just for the taking? Don't they know there are addicts like us out there? Sometimes, though, I feel sorry for people whose hobbies don't have entire social establishments dedicated to giving them their fix.

gail@more than a song said...

Oh you've been really busy! I don't ever make enough money at a garage sale for the work involved so I quit, hope yours was good.
And I'm woefully behind in blog reading too! Trying to work on it this week but it's so true, miss a day or so and it feels overwhelming!

Somer said...

Yay! I got a point! I'll have to work harder at getting reviews posted in order to feed your addiction...!

I can't wait to hear how you like Sky Burial. It's on my list for my "X" author, too (but then, how many X authors are there, really?).

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I'm in the game! I think that this is a really fun post that you do. So entertaining!