Monday, March 23, 2009

mishmash Monday 2

No Library Loot for me this week. As much as I love using the library, I am actually very happy with myself. Am seriously trying to cut back on the number of library books I bring home, for the simple reason that they are keeping me from working through my own TBR pile. And face it, whose TBR pile doesn't need some serious attention?!! (Yeah, and if you answered, "Mine's not that bad," just keep it to yourself, would you?)

*****

Of course, just because there's no Library Loot, that does not mean there is no blame to be placed. A few books did somehow manage to worm their way into our home. Not sure how that happened. Oh, okay, I visited a new bookstore...some bargain outlet place. AND it was Educator's Week at Borders. And frankly, considering all that, I'd say I did well to keep my purchases to three little books.

The Sisters Grimm: Tales from the Hood by Michael Buckley. Yeah, I know I haven't read Books 2-5 yet...but I will. I loved the first one so much.









The Twits by Roald Dahl. After writing about how much the boys and I love The Witches, Carl recommended this one. I just know we're going to love it! Point for Carl!









Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury. Ummm, yeah, it's Ray Bradbury. 'Nuff said.











*****

Be sure to head over to J.Kaye's to join in the fun.

I actually didn't do too bad last week...managed to finish all the books I was "determined" to finish, plus one.

Read last week:

*House of Stone by Christina Lamb
*Down to a Sunless Sea by Mathias B. Freese
*The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare
*Poverty: What If We Do Nothing? by Cath Senker
*Lives of the Artists by Kathleen Krull

Books I'm currently reading and am determined to finish this week:
*Looking for Bobowicz by Daniel Pinkwater
*The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett
*Fax from Sarajevo by Joe Kubert

Books I'm currently reading but probably won't finish this week:
*Africa: A Biography of the Continent by John Reader
*The Scientists by John Gribbin
*The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer
*Summer of the Gods by Edward J. Larson

Books I hope to start this week:

*Cat, What Is That? by Tony Johnston
*The Hoboken Chicken Emergency by Daniel Pinkwater

*****

Challenges joined this week:

*Once Upon a Time III













*Spring Reading Thing 2009

5 comments:

Kailana said...

I don't think I am going to have any library loot today, either! That's probably a good thing...

Anonymous said...

Nona is reading the very first The Sisters Grimm book. She sort of jumped in the middle and now is going back to read the first five or three or whichever number. ;)

Ana S. said...

The Twits is indeed awesome, and I really need to check out the Sisters Grimm series!

Sandra said...

Five books in one week is very good. I read both your reviews of House of Stone, a must read now I think, and Sunless Sea. I read this and still owe the author a review. My mind has been mush from illness for months now and I'm not sure what to think about this collection either, although I'm glad I read it.
It's been years since I read the Merchant of Venice-good for you. Fax From Sarajevo sounds appealing to me. I recently read The Cellist of Sarajevo and recommend it highly. I joined the Spring Thing challenge too. We've had a long winter and I just need to hear that word-Spring! I really like your title "mishmash Monday". :)Happy reading.

Melody said...

You're amazing, Debi! I think you do much better than me!! ;)