Tuesday, July 14, 2009

the bad, the good, and the blame

Excuse the lame title. I'm really tired.

The Bad: the month is nearly half over. And I've only read two books! I've read quite a bit in some longer non-fic books I've got going, but I doubt I'm actually going to finish any of those this month. Of course, the month I actually do finish all those is going to look like a killer reading month. I've also done a lot of textbook reading in preparation for the coming school year, but of course, that never counts toward my reading totals.

The Good: Two books. Who cares?!! One of them is my favorite read of the year so far! (See previous post.) And frankly, I don't see it being knocked out of that spot. Of course, I am willing to have some book try. :D

The Blame: It's been a while since I've updated points for the Blame Game. Mostly because I just haven't been accumulating many books. Not sure what's gotten into me. Anyway, here's what has made its way into our house:

Scary Stories Treasury collected from folklore and retold by Alvin Schwartz with abundant artwork by Stephen Gammell.

Had to buy it. Couldn't resist. It has all three of the Scary Story books combined into one collection. They're just such fun little stories. I'm hoping to read lots and lots to the kids this fall. And I love the art (though a lot of it really creeps Gray out).


Beauty by Sheri S. Tepper.

I've never read anything by her before, and I'm not even sure if I've ever heard of her before. But I was looking for fairy tale retellings on PaperbackSwap and this one caught my eye. When I looked into her a bit, I found she's actually quite prolific. And I was intrigued by the fact that some say she has an ecofeminist slant. Anyone read this book? Or any of her others? What did you think?




Sunshine by Robin McKinley.

And here we have a point to be awarded. Susan wrote this wonderfully fun post about her favorite books of the last decade. Somehow I fear this is only the first book from that one post that will be earning points for Susan...several more made their way onto my wish list, too.






Ever by Gail Carson Levine.

We stopped in the book closeout store yesterday. I only bought one book for myself...I think I should get a reward or something. (Oh yeah, I think that was my excuse for eating that piece of cherry pie last night...guess I did get a reward.) I have yet to read any of her books, but I have this feeling that I'm going to be completely charmed. Hope I'm right on that score.




And finally, from the library, we have one lonesome book:

The Golden Phoenix: Eight French-Canadian Fairy Tales by Marius Barbeau, and retold by Michael Hornyansky.

And the blame for this one falls squarely on Kailana's shoulders because of this review. I have to admit that I'm still basking in the afterglow of Nation, and can't seem to think about starting a new novel. But I think I might start this collection today as a way of easing myself back in. ;)





See, I've been very well behaved lately, haven't I? Oh, and before I go, if you'd like a way to shirk a little responsibility for your book accumulation habits, don't forget that Chris is hosting The Bad Bloggers meme. Go add your link so we can all see who's responsible for your sagging bookshelves. :D

12 comments:

Ana S. said...

Oooh, Beauty! I haven't read it yet, but I first heard of it when someone commented on my review of Tender Morsels saying that what I'd written reminded them of it. I've been dying to read it ever since. I know it deals with rape too, and like TM it's probably not an easy read, but it does sound like a worthwhile one. Another one I've heard wonders about is The Gate to Women's Country. She's definitely on my MUST READ SOON list!

Ever does sound charming - in fact, they all sound great!

Debi said...

Nymeth,

Thank you...I didn't realize Beauty dealt with rape, as the book description doesn't mention it. And while you know I think it's a topic that NEEDS(!!!!) to be written about, I'm glad to have the heads up.

You know, you almost got a point for Ever. I probably wouldn't have bought it if not for your Ella Enchanted review. But I figured I'd try to draw out the suspense a bit before you just go leave everyone in the dust again. ;)

chrisa511 said...

You've read two books more than what I have this month Debi!! And you read Nation...I could read just that book in a month and be thrilled with the reading month :p

Loving your blame this week!! I've been wanting to read Sunshine too ever since Susan's post. It sounds like such a great book! And The Golden Phoenix sounds so good!!! That one just went right onto my wishlist.

Oh, and one more thing...I used to LOVE the Scary Stories books!! I've seen that collection in book stores and I've been so tempted to get it!

serendipity_viv said...

I have so many people to blame I would be there all day. Nymeth, Chris and Jessica Marie are terrible people who have caused me to spend far too much money on books.LOL. I also blame myself for being so weak.

Melody said...

I'm like the sound of Beauty and I'm already intrigued with it! I'm a sucker for fairy tale retellings! :P

I've heard a few raves on Sunshine so I hope you'll enjoy that one too!

Megan said...

I've finished approximately no books this month thus far, and I'm not particularly enjoying the two that I'm reading, though I don't really want to abandon them either - so you've definitely got me beat by two! And apparently by a long shot in *quality,* too! ;-)

And if the rest of the art in the Scary Stories Treasury is like the cover picture, then I'm totally with Gray in the being creeped out!

Staci said...

Loved the books that you've recently acquired!! Textbook reading???? you poor thing!! I'm going to have to start playing Chris's blaming game because I love to pass the buck for my book problem to others!!!

Debi said...

Chris,
What is it about this month that has our reading numbers so low?!! I had these grand visions of reading 5 books a week during the summer. Instead it's more like .5 books a week. :/

Sunshine sounds fabulous, doesn't it? I'm sort of thinking of saving it for RIP...it's not like I don't have enough other books in the TBR pile to tide me over until them. ;) Holy crap...RIP is just a month and a half away. How can that be?!! Where the hell has the summer gone?!!

I'm looking forward to reading the scary stories to the kids! Though I will have to choose carefully...I know some of them will be too much for Gray. He has a much lower terror-threshold than his brother.


ScrapGirl,
Oh no, sweetie, you have to stop blaming yourself! It's all these dastardly bloggers! Believe me, you'll feel much better when you can just let go of all guilt in this situation. ;)


Melody,
Me too!!! I LOVE fairy tale retellings. And I have blogging to thank (especially Nymeth!) for ever even giving them a try.


Megan,
Like I just said to Chris, what is it about July?!! Aren't we all supposed to be lying in the sun whipping through book after book? My picture of the ideal summer never quite seems to match the reality. :(


Staci,
I really do take responsibility in all other areas of my life...but ahh, it does feel so good to pass the buck on this one. :D

Shanra said...

(I like your title, just so you know, but then another friend of mine would just counter with "You're biiiiiiiiaaaaaaased!", so you have full leave to do the same. ^-~)

Beauty sounds interesting, so that's gone right onto my wishlist. (Fairytale retellings!)

chrisa511 said...

OMG...I didn't even realize how soon RIP was!! That's just totally crazy now that you've actually said it! Looks I better start my Christmas shopping now too ;)

Carl V. Anderson said...

I've heard really good things about Sunshine. You've got some nice reading lined up for R.I.P. there! This weather makes me want to pull out the R.I.P. reading and get started on it. It is absolutely gorgeous this morning. Feels like fall!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Do you know I STILL can't look at those Scary Story books without getting nightmares? Kind of like when I read Coraline and had to cover the Other Mother pictures with my hand while I read. :) I'm the world's biggest wimp. I loved telling/listening to scary stories when little but now I just can't do it.