Saturday, October 24, 2009

Dewey's Read-a-thon 5 Dewey Mini-Challenge

I knew Eva was going to host this mini-challenge again, and I kept telling myself that I should get my act together and decide what I wanted to write about ahead of time so I wouldn't sit here during the read-a-thon crying trying to put something coherent to "paper." But I didn't, and I'm sitting here crying, still not sure what to write about.

I miss Dewey so much. Every day. In a lot of ways. I think the book blogging world has changed a lot without her here. I think she was this sort of anchor, sort of an ideal. Not that she tried to be any such thing. She was just who she was. And who she was was someone very special indeed.

But as much as I miss her in the book blogging community, I miss her infinitely more as Dewey the friend. I miss our e-mail chats. Chats about everything under the sun. From homeschooling (she was always so supportive of me homeschooling Annie, and had great advice as she'd had homeschooled her son for a while) to pregnancy (we both suffered through difficult pregnancies, including both having had preeclampsia). From Thanksgiving turkeys to organic dark chocolate. From house guests to computers. Oh, and of course, books. :) One of the most treasured e-mails I ever received was just about a week before she died...she sent me a link to a slide show of photos she took during a walk through the woods with her husband. I felt as if I was getting a glimpse at her world through her eyes. I promised her we would come see those sights with her in person one day. But of course, that day will never come.

I miss you, Dewey. And I love you.

9 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Such a sweet post Debi...so heartfelt...I'm with you my dear :( I cried my eyes out while I wrote my post too. And I felt like I should go back and change some of what I said after, but I didn't because that was just pure passion coming out and emotions that Dewey evoked...so I thought I'll write what she makes me feel. I didn't know Dewey as well as you did. It sounds like you two were really good friends, but she sure did make me feel special too. She did that for so many people! Hugs!!

Ana S. said...

Both you and Chris made me cry :( I love you *hugstheshitoutofDebi* (Don't sue me, Chris!)

Rich said...

You showed me that slideshow of her hike. I remember it well...I think I told her in the email I sent her that I wanted to come out and take that walk, too. I know how much you miss her. This Earth is not nearly as nice a place without her.

soleil said...

that is a very lovely tribute. i wish i could have known as you did.

Care said...

When I saw that one of the prizes was going to be a chocolate monkey, I got a bit teary-eyed. THAT was one of my images of Dewey. Lovely tribute.

Eva said...

I agree-the raw grief I feel is for Dewey the friend, not Dewey the book blogger. You made me cry! *HUGE hugs*

ccqdesigns said...

Here's to Dewey!!!
Now that it's past midnight and our eyes are drooping lower, it's time for us night owls to get our second wind! So here is a big HOOT from Alabama. Keep on Reading!!!! Just a few more hours to go!!!!

Go Reading,Go Reading,Go Reading!!!
Rebecca
the Transcendentalists team!

Stephanie said...

What a wonderful post Debi. We all miss Dewey. She was a wonderful person, and the world is a little sadder without her.

Valerie said...

Aww. Makes me wish all the more that I had known Dewey. I'm glad, though, that her spirit has been carried on over the book blogging world.

I hope you are enjoying what's left of the readathon -- if you're not already sleeping!