Thursday, November 05, 2009

family book club 1

We were supposed to have our first family book club meeting last week...but well, last week turned out to just be way too busy. (Lucky for our reluctant reader, as he hadn't finished his book yet.) So, tonight was the night. We headed out to Great Northern Pizza Kitchen. And while I brought the computer to tape a vlog of our interviews, I, uh, well, I couldn't remember how to work the video. So, Rich and I took turns trying to type our conversation. Frankly, written out like this, it seems pretty darn boring. So seriously, feel free to skip it. At the bottom is a horrendously embarrassing vlog of us, which we made when we got home and I had relearned how to do it. It announces our picks for next months family book club (and lets the world see what a total idiot I married ;) and how idiotically I tend to giggle and how red my face gets when I'm nervous). Again, feel free to skip it. In fact, I highly encourage skipping it.

*****
Rich chose Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling for Gray.

Rich: Who was your favorite character?

Gray: Hagrid.

Rich: What did you like about him?

Gray: He's funny. And he did something illegal.

Rich: What about what he did to Dudley?

Gray: You mean putting the pig tail on him? Yeah, that was funny. But I liked that he had a dragon.

Rich: Was there anything scary in the book?

Gray: No.

Rich: Not even the face on the back of the head?

Gray: No. That was funny.

Rich: Did you like when Ron had to play wizard chess?

Gray: Yes, because Ron blew up.

Rich: Would you like to read any more of the Harry Potter books?

Gray: No.

Rich: Why?!!

Gray: I don't want to read anything. (Gray is in a very crabby mood this evening.)


Gray chose Space Chimps: Mission to Malgor for Max.

Gray: Was your favorite character Ham III?

Max: No--Titan.

Gray: Why?

Max: Because he went flying on the treadmill. I want to have a treadmill so I can go flying.

Gray: I want to go flying, too. Who was your least favorite character?

Max: Guess.

Gray: Luna.

Annie: Why? Because she's a girl?

Max: No. Because she's not as funny as the other ones.

Debi: Is she the smart one?

Gray: Yes. My favorite character is Ham III, because he's the funniest. Did you like the book, Max?

Max: *shakes head yes*

Gray: Then how come you never wanted to read it?

Max: Because I always wanted to do other things.


Max chose The Warriors Graystripe's Adventure series of graphic novels by Erin Hunter.

Max: Who was your favorite character?

Annie: I liked Millie because she was really practical, and she took care of Graystripe when he was hurt. Plus she could really stick up for herself in a fight.

Max: Which of the three books was your favorite?

Annie: I liked the second, Warrior's Refuge, the best. It had the most interesting plot line, and it really kept me reading.

Debi: Do the graphic novels mirror the novels?

Annie: No, they tell different stories.

Max: Who was your favorite leader?

Annie: Well, they weren't really mentioned until the end.

Max: What was your favorite part of the series?

Annie: In the second book, when Millie and Graystripe taught the humans and the dogs to coexist with the barn cats.

Max: Did you like the books?

Annie: Yes, I really did enjoy them, Max.


Annie chose Dramacon Ultimate Edition by Svetlana Chmakova for Debi.

Annie: Did you enjoy these books?

Debi: Actually I enjoyed them quite a lot. It surprised me how much I liked them.

Annie:  So you didn't think you were going to like them much?

Debi:  No, I just didn't think I would like them as much as I did...romance just isn't my thing, you know.

Annie:  Who was your favorite character?

Debi:  Probably Cristi.  I also liked Beth.

Annie:  Why did you like Christi?

Debi:  She was sweet...a little naive...talented...genuinely a nice person. What did you like about her Annie?

Annie:  That's pretty much why I liked her, too.  Why did you like Beth?

Debi:  She reminded me a little bit of me, except I'm not talented like her...she was super talented. But she tended to put other people's needs in front of her own. She was a people pleaser. Actually, I think that came out wrong...that's not so much why I liked her, but more about how much I related to her. And it made me all the more happy for the way her story turned out.

Annie:  Did you like Emily?

Debi:  No...

Annie:  Was there anyone's personality that you didn't like?

Debi:  Derek.  Not much to like about a rapist.

Annie:  Which of the three books was your favorite?

Debi:  I'm not sure which of the books...but the story line with Beth and her Mom was one of my favorite parts of all.

Annie:  What did you think of the scene with the scene with the confrontation between the kid and Lida?

Debi:  I found that pretty interesting...I don't know how to say this...that kind of snobbery when it comes to books drives me crazy. He made it even worse by turning it into this racist thing.


Debi chose The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness for Rich.

Debi: Okay, one word.

Rich: Intense.

Debi: Yep. That's the perfect word. Are you glad I chose this for you?

Rich: Yeah, I enjoyed it. Definitely different than any book I've ever read. And it kept me awake for the read-a-thon.

Debi: Will you be reading the sequels?

Rich: Yeah, I think so. It's the kind of book that makes you want to go out and buy the sequel on the first day it comes out.

Gray: Did you have a favorite character?

Rich: Ben. And Manchee. He was such a good dog.

Debi: He reminded me so much of Bake. Well, the way Bake is with you anyway. So how many times were you surprised, or caught off guard, during this book?

Rich: Too many times to count.

Debi: Aside from "the" scene that rips your heart out, were there any others that really, really stand out? That are vividly etched in your mind?

Rich: Yeah, the end. And the one with Todd and the Spackle.

Debi: What about the noise?

Rich: That whole concept is just crazy, you know. Kind of bizarre. Like your worst nightmare, having your thoughts being transmitted.

Debi: To me, the thought of having to listening to everyone else's thoughts was far worse than having anyone be able to read mine. Just all that noise...I seriously was almost sick just reading about it.

Rich: Yeah, it reminded me of Musicophilia. There are people who hear loud music in their head ALL the time.

Debi: So, are you going to trust me if I should get your name again?

Rich: Sure. You didn't lead me astray this time. I loved the book you picked for me.

*****
(Sorry, the video is cut off again, you actually can see poor Annie if you click and watch it on youtube instead.) 
 

New picks:

--Gray got Max again, and is giving him: Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney.
--Debi got Annie, and is giving her: Looking for Alaska by John Green.
--Rich got Gray again, and is giving him: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling.
--Annie got Debi again, and is giving her: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.
--Max got Rich, and is giving him: Space Chimps: Mission to Malgor.

23 comments:

kreed said...

Are you kidding?!?! No way I could skip the vlog with that kind of intro! Cracked me up!

Eva said...

Oh Debi!!! That vlog had me laughing SO HARD!!! Made me forget my evil neck. :) And Golden Compass and Looking for Alaska are both awesome!

Amanda said...

Okay, after watching through twice, once alone and once with Jason, and I'm literally crying. That was so much fun. Your family reminds me so much of mine! And then the transcript! I read this:

"Rich: Who was your favorite character?

Gray: Hagrid."

And automatically started cracking up. Um...yeah, he's your dad, right? :D

Oh Debi, please keep making vlogs. This was so great. You guys are so awesome!

Melody said...

Oh Debi, you've to do the vlogs often! :D

chrisa511 said...

:) :D ^_^ I loved that SO MUCH!!!! That was the best vlog ever Debi!! Oh I miss you all so much. Each and every one of you. You have to keep doing these :) All such wonderful choices too!! I need to find people to do a little book club with. No one in my family reads, so that's out of the question :/ But these are some awesome picks! Can't wait to see what Annie thinks of Looking for Alaska! So um, does this mean we get ANOTHER vlog from Ana?! ;)

Ana S. said...

ZOMG!!!! I love you! And I love your family!! :D I'm so going to visit you! I'm buying a plane ticket right now!11 Okay, so I'm not, but I WOULD if I could! Seriously Debi, that was AWESOME :D I have no words for how awesome that was. The faces Rich and Max were making cracked me up, lol! And Annie and Gray are adorable :D And YOU!!! Also, I love Annie for making you read His Dark Materials and love you for making Annie read Alaska :D Wheeeeee! Thank you - I'm going to work with a BIG smile on my face today :D


PS to Chris: No. :P

Jean said...

Good thing I'd finished my morning coffee, or it might be all over the monitor now. What a hoot! I especially liked Rich's ducking under the range of the camera and oh so slowly bringing his head up into range. It reminded me of a Family Guy moment that I'd best not repeat on a family blog. Hope you guys have a splendid weekend!

serendipity_viv said...

I can't get into the vlog. Grrr! Shall have to come back and try again. I love that you all had a family book club. That is just fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Debi, seriously the vlogs are great! Keep them coming!

The whole family book club idea is genius and I hope that someday we can do that with our children. I would love to do it with my husband now, but he takes months and months to finish a book unless really pushed. Seriously...started the new Dan Brown the day it came out in mid-September, he's on page 50. :)

Your choices for next month are awesome, can't wait to see what you think of The Golden Compass. It was one of my favorite reads last year.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Oh my goodness, what an awesome video! I loved to see Rich and the boys cutting up and Annie kept trying not to laugh and then fixing her hair, so cute! I also think it's wonderful that you guys have a family book club and pick books for each other, what a great idea :)

Kailana said...

lol That was very entertaining! Enjoy your reads for next time! :)

Memory said...

I can't watch the vlog because this computer doesn't have sound, but I loved the interviews! I think it's awesome that you and your family do this together.

Ali said...

Goofiest vlog ever!

I love the family book club idea, and it sounds like everyone picked really well for each other.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

This was soooo awesome! You've got a fantastic family and I love how your book club runs - choosing books for one another seems a great way to get everyone reading outside their own zone!

DesLily said...

good golly that was funny! lol..can anyone keep a straight face for more than 10 seconds? LOL LOL.. all good choices there.. I read all 3 to the golden compass you will enjoy that..

Dawn said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your video! Tim even came in to see what I was watching. He wants to know if you have more :) He is a fan of Diary of a Whimpy kid. He's just got the fourth one. It's nice to find something that he likes to read!

take care,
Dawn

Chelle said...

Seriously awesome post! Hope you do another vlog for the next round!

Debi said...

Kara,
Yeah, but I bet you're now grateful that we don't live so close anymore, huh? :P

Eva,
It makes my day that I could make you forget your pain if even for a minute! Hope you're feeling better soon!!!!!!

Amanda,
I'm so glad you said that, because I swear I couldn't even begin to count how many times I've thought, "Damn, but they remind me so much of us!" :D

Melody,
Well, the boys are certainly willing. ;)

Chris,
Any idea how much I wish we lived close?!!!!! You would definitely be part of our family book club!!!! Of course, that would mean you'd have to be willing to read books like Space Chimps if Max got your name. ;) Personally, I'm hoping if he ever gets my name, he'll choose some Zelda manga.

Ana,
Any idea how relieved I am to hear you say that?!!!! Seriously, I was thinking, "Damn, after this, Ana is NEVER going to want to come to New York!" Actually, I knew better, but still...what a bunch of goofballs, huh? And I think Rich is the worst of them all! :P
I was secretly hoping that Annie would choose The Golden Compass for me! :D Finally, no more excuses for putting it off.

Jean,
So does it embarrass you that you're related to that guy? ;)

Vivienne,
It really has been fun so far! And it's getting us to all read books we might not have read otherwise. :)

Amanda,
I'm really, really looking forward to reading The Golden Compass! I've wanted to read it for a long time, as both Annie and Rich absolutely loved them, but something always seems to come up that needs read first. So it's nice to have an excuse to HAVE to read them. :D

Stacy,
Yeah, I sort of live in a loony bin. ;) But at least it's a loony bin with books. :D

Kailana,
Thanks! I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm pretty confident that I'll love mine! Actually, I'm pretty confident that Annie will love hers, too...at least I hope so!

Memory,
Thanks! It really is a fun way to spend some family time. :)

Ali,
Yeah, as you can see from my husband, it's no wonder the boys are a tad on the goofy side, huh?

Joanne,
It really has been a great way to stretch our reading horizons! Not sure if Rich is all that thrilled to have his horizons stretched with Space Chimps though... ;) Actually, he'll probably love it.

Pat,
I think I definitely made out by having Annie picking for me! I've been wanting to read His Dark Materials for the longest time...and now I've got my chance. :D

Dawn,
Gray and Tim would get along famously...Gray loves the whole series! We had to buy him the fourth one the day it came out...and of course, he read it that night.

Chelle,
Thanks! But you know that old saying--"Be careful what you wish for"... ;)

Susan said...

Wonderful idea, a family book club! oh Debi, your family is so great. Now luckily my daughter is learning to read now, and the youngest is still learning the alphabet, so we have time to take reading at night a little further. Cool! I love your family. Thank you for sharing a bit of your life with us. And the next books picked sound really good, I hope you enjoy His Dark Materials, I did. Plus I need to find a copy of Looking For Alaska. You brought a smile to my face, and in this hideous fall, that's worth everything! Thank you!

Susan said...

PS the faces your husband and Max make are priceless. They really are funny!!! I laughed and laughed. And Annie putting on her sweater in the background, and Gray hiding in the shadows to pop out. So sweet, everyone!

Megan said...

LOL! You guys are a trip! Reminds me a little bit of my family when we're at our goofiest! =D

valentina said...

I want a family like yours when I grow up!

Anonymous said...

At you abstract thinking