Saturday, October 18, 2008

mini challenge #1 (read-a-thon)

The get-acquainted read-a-thon meme:

*Where are you reading from today?
My wonderful husband left yesterday with the boys. As they did for the very first read-a-thon, they headed off to the ocean...New Hampshire and Maine, to be more precise. This has left Annie and I the house to ourselves to read in peace. Well, as much peace as a myriad of furry four-legged friends will allow. (Which is a great deal more peace than two young boys would allow!)

*3 facts about me...
Number 1: I'm a horrendously slow reader. My daughter will undoubtedly read twice as many pages as I do during the read-a-thon.
Number 2: I'm also horrendously slow on the computer (and our computer's slow lately as well), which means my reading time will be cut even shorter.
Number 3: I eat horrendously poorly during these read-a-thons. I try not to, but somehow junk food just pulls me into its clutches, especially during the night.
--Hmmm...these three facts have pretty just labeled me horrendous, haven't they?

*How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?
If I just counted correctly, 35. Plus a couple of graphic novels. Plus a stack of short story anthologies. Plus a couple of very short, almost picture book type books. Plus a book of poetry. Look, a woman's got to have options, right?

*Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)?
Not really. I've decided to just go with the flow. I'd love to get a lot read, but I know how much time the computer eats up during this 24 hour stretch. So my plan is to simply have fun!

*If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, Any advice for people doing this for the first time?
I am a veteran, but as far as advice goes, I can't think of anything you probably haven't heard a hundred times already.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, thats nice that your husband has gone out with the boys. thats about the only way i could hypothetically do this - if my wife, charlotte, were to go out for the day.

and don't worry about your reading speed - i am a veeeery slow reader too! really slow. i'll lie in bed reading next to charlotte and she just keeps turning the pages!! and i sit there on the same page...

she reads at least twice as quickly as i do, and sometimes quicker.

so don't worry, you're not alone :D

i hope you have fun during the read-a-thon!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Debi--you used "horrendously" way too many times in that post!! I'm a slow reader as well but I find it so interesting how fast I read (relatively) during these read-a-thons!!

Hope the boys have a great time--sounds like they'll be kind of the same place Scott and I were last weekend. It is absolutely stunning up there (but I'm sure you'll have much more fun reading).

chrisa511 said...

I'm a horribly slow reader too, so don't feel bad Debi...we'll read very little together :p And I can definitely see the internet taking over all my time!

Dewey said...

I'm a slow reader, too! My son is still asleep and is likely to stay that way until mid-afternoon. My husband disappeared. Either he went back to bed after making me breakfast or he's working in the office. Hope you and Annie have a great time today!

alisonwonderland said...

i'm so with you on the "options" thing! i haven't counted my TBR pile(s) - but i'm guessing it's about 25. plus i've reserved the right to make a run over to my local library branch if needed. :)