Monday, March 06, 2006

sometimes I feel so selfish

Now's one of those times. I don't like to feel this way, but I do. See, the neighbors dropped in last night to ask if I could watch their daughter before and after school this week (she'll ride the bus with mine). I immediately agreed to do it. And in a way, I don't mind doing it...it's wonderful to be able to help someone out. Truly that's what's life's about.
On the other hand, I do mind doing it. That hour before school and that hour and a half after school are already the craziest times of the day. Especially the after school part, with homework and supper and whatnot. Even so, it wouldn't be bugging me quite the way it is if the situation was different. See, Annie and this little girl used to be best friends. Then, about a year ago, this little girl starting ignoring Annie and was occasionally downright mean to her. This started after she started hanging out with an older girl from down the street. Annie was hurt, but took it pretty much in stride. Frankly, she often has a maturity that surprises me for an 8-year-old. Anyway, Annie and the neighbor girl see each other in school and get along fine, but never play at home anymore. So, frankly, it bugs me a bit that her parents would ask me to take care of her.
All that said, I must admit I feel lousy for feeling this way. Why am I being so petty and feeling so put upon?

Quote of the day:
"Smile and the world smiles with you. Sulk and you sulk alone." --Lucy

No comments: