Monday, January 01, 2007

What is it about a new year beginning?

There's something about the start of a new year.

It always fills me with such optimism. Like I can conquer the world. Or at least the endless clutter and piles of laundry. I'm confident that I can tackle projects big and small, and actually complete them. I even envision myself making minor dents in bad habits.

Why does this always happen with the start of a new year? My brain truly does know better. It knows that January 1st is simply another day. There's nothing magic about it.

Or is there? For whatever reason, it does seem to sprinkle my psyche with magical images of what life might have in store. At this time of year, even that pessimistic little voice which seems to think it has a monopoly on reason, can't get a total hold on me. Sooner or later, it will. At least it always has in the past. But until then, I'm going to enjoy my illusions...

And who knows-maybe this will be the year my illusions become reality.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Happy New Year Debi! I have my hopes for the new year too! (Like updating my blog more often)

I hope you are able to meet all of your goals and then some!

It's good to read your posts again :)

Here's to a wonderful 2007!!

Take care,
Dawn