Friday, March 23, 2007

little bits of this and that

*First let me say, I have no right to complain (zero, zilch, nada). I am not a basketball fan. Certainly not the NBA, and frankly, not of college ball either. So like I said no right to complain. Yet, for some reason, the last 2 seasons when Memphis has made it to the Sweet Sixteen, we have gotten really excited around here. (That personal connection, I guess. Having lived there for 4 years. It's where Rich got his PhD. Spent lots of time on the campus.) So anyway, we are really fired up to watch the game last night. And what happens? Well, of course, they don't show it here. I know, I know--no right to complain. But still we were mighty bummed! We did watch the end of the Kansas/SIU game, mostly in hopes that they would switch to the Memphis game after it ended. And hooray, they did...so we got to see the last 6 minutes. And frankly, those last minutes are the most exciting anyway, right? Anyway...way to go, Memphis! And good luck!

*I'm still really excited about the Spring Reading Thing! It has me all energized to get a pile of reading done. In fact, I've been wishing ever since I posted my list yesterday that I'd made it longer. So, last night, after those 6 minutes of the Memphis game, I was all ready to put a big dent in the last 100 pages of Executive Orders. But I'm sad to say, that didn't really happen. The book has really bogged down for me. A war has begun, and all of Clancy's excrutiating detail about vehicles and equipment and maneuvers is simply boring me to tears! I stuck it out for as long as I could keep my eyes open, but didn't make all that much progress. Oh well.

*Just a couple of goofy things that I've been told this morning:
--"I want a toothbrush that plays rock 'n roll in my mouth." (Max) Don't tell me...there probably is such a thing.
--"I could go to school without any underwear and no one would even know." (Gray)

*Gray is going to buy his lunch at school today! Hooray! This is quite a rare event. And frankly, I should not be happy about it. It's so much more expensive than packing his lunch. But for some reason, I hate packing lunches. (Should have put that on this week's 10 on Tuesday.) Don't ask me why...it's not like it's a tough job or even all that time-consuming. I mean, how hard is it to throw together a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (the only kind he'll eat at school, though he'll eat other kinds at home), add some fruit, and some fig newtons or the equivalent, and zip it all into his Pokemon lunchbox (a wonderful thrift store find), right? And yet for some reason, it's just one of those jobs that I despise doing.

*Max just asked me to wrap some of his toys so he could pretend it's his birthday. Maybe I'll even do it while he's in preschool today...easy way to make one little boy very happy. But anyway, that got me thinking about Annie's birthday again. I have got to get busy on that front! I haven't done anything to get ready yet. Nor made any Easter preparations. Which this year is the same day as Annie's birthday, further complicating matters. Since she's homeschooled, it's tough to get out there and shop for her, without her in tow. Of course, the bulk of her present will probably be a big Barnes&Noble gift card...that will make for an immensely happy young girl!

7 comments:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Ooh, what a nice long newsy blog post!

Memphis game - we caught the last 60 seconds. The best part :) We're rooting for them too, since they are in the conference that our alma mater is (Conference USA).

Yeah on the reading challenge! I look forward to hearing about your books. I have never read a single Clancy and I probably will never try. The one you're reading sounds like the Ludlum one I STRUGGLED through earlier this year. Too much descriptions of weapons, tactics, rappelling, warfare tactics, espionage, etc. I could barely finish it, so I feel your pain :)

Love what your boys said, both so funny!

LOVE LOVE LOVE that your daughter loves to read so much and that she'll be happy with a B&N gift card. :)

Have a great day!

~*Kelli BoBelli*~ said...

Um. Yeah. There are such things as toothbrushes that play rock songs. All my kids want them, too. Here, they are $19.99 a piece!!

I can't afford $40 for toothbrushes!

Good luck!

Debi said...

Kelli--I should have known!

Dawn said...

I just saw a commercial on TV that I think showed musical toothbrushes!!

I haven't done anything to get ready for Easter yet! I'd better get busy huh?

take care,
Dawn

Unknown said...

I hear ya on the packing the lunch bit. I can't stand doing it either! My daughter would gladly buy her lunch, but I know she would spend half the twenty-minute lunch period standing in line. And, let's face it, no matter how much they try to make those school lunches healthy, they pale in comparison to the yummy things I can fix for her instead ;-)

Unknown said...

PS! I forgot to mention that I got the fabric from JOANN, and the homeopathic rememdy is Similasan. I purchased it in the eye drops and contact solution aisle at Target. I am prone to eye infections, and these drops really help. Of course, I'll haul my hiney to the doctor if it's not all cleared up by Monday, but so far so good!

Dawn said...

Just chiming in to tell you the book that I am finding so boring is Jane Austen in Scarsdale. My advice would be not to put it on your to read list!

take care,
Dawn