Wednesday, October 24, 2007

one delightful little book


Wow...I actually finished a challenge! Yes, The Halloween Tree, by Ray Bradbury, is my fourth book for the R.I.P. II Reading Challenge, so I have now completed Peril the First. But my reading hasn't ended. I'm hoping to finish up at least one more creepy read before the month's end. I can also check this off my New Authors Challenge...though technically it wasn't on my list. (I did have Something Wicked This Way Comes by Bradbury on that list, but obviously I can't use that for the challenge because he's no longer a new author to me.) Anyway, enough babbling...onto the book review...

Well, what can I say...I absolute adore this little book! I am completely entranced with Bradbury's writing...it's magical and delightful in such a unique way. I get absolutely lost in his words. I want to read the paragraphs over and over, just to savor them. And I would be willing to bet that Mr. Bradbury had an absolutely fantastic time writing this little jewel!

But The Halloween Tree is quite a little treasure even beyond its magical language. It's truly a fun little story! Young Pip sends his friends on ahead to the local haunted house on Halloween night, promising to catch up with them. But something is wrong. Something is very wrong with Pip. Instead of Pip, the eight boys meet Moundshroud. Can this dark man be trusted? It seems the boys have no choice, for this sinister man is their only hope of saving poor Pip.

Halloween night turns into an adventure through time and space. An adventure to the roots of Halloween and its traditions. An adventure to save their young friend. But what kind of price must they pay?

Yes, I have stumbled upon a new Halloween tradition...this little book will definitely make its way to my book pile every October from now on.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Yes it's a very good story indeed!

Melody said...

Yay for having completed Peril the First!!! I can't believe I have done it, and oh it was so much fun! I think I will write a wrap up on this probably mid of next week.

Glad you enjoyed reading the book. :)

chrisa511 said...

Oh, I hope I get this one in time!! It sounds like such a great book and it's your review that really has me wanting to read it!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Yeah, congrats on finding a wonderful book and a great review of it too :) Love that you have a new tradition now. I'm "all about" traditions, you know!

Ana S. said...

I've been looking for this book everywhere, and the only place where I can find it is online :( I think I'm gonna order it - it won't be here in time for Halloween, but this is something I REALLY want to read anyway.

Stephanie said...

I really need to read more Bradbury. I think the only book I have read is Fahrenheit 451. I should definitely add this one to my TBR!