Tuesday, October 23, 2007

first in the 2nds


Finally got a start on Joy's 2nds Reading Challenge. The Wright 3 was my second book by Blue Balliett. I absolutely adored Chasing Vermeer when I read it last year, and have been so anxious to revisit Petra and Calder in this new adventure. Dewey's Readathon this past weekend gave me the perfect opportunity. And this really was the perfect book for those wee hours when it was really hard to focus the eyes. Or even keep them open.

But now let me say, though I did enjoy this follow-up to Chasing Vermeer, it just didn't captivate me in the same way. It was missing some of the magic of the first book. I still adored Calder and Petra. And I thought the way that Balliett dealt with return of Tommy and the dynamics of "three's a crowd" was really honest and on target. But I just didn't find myself liking Tommy all that much.

I didn't find myself as fascinated with the "mystery" of this story either. It all seemed a little too pat, and it seemed to wrap up too quickly and easily. I don't know, maybe it's just that I was so tired as I read this one, but it just didn't hold the same charm for me as Chasing Vermeer. I'm not saying it was a bad book...it just wasn't a sensational book. And if Balliett brings Calder and Petra back for a third book, I'll definitely give it a shot.

1 comment:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Look at you, all of the accomplishments in reading and on your challenges :)

I find that this is usually something that happens to me - I don't always like a second or subsequent book by a new author as much as I enjoyed the first one. Sometimes it is a bit of a letdown and can't compare to the first.

Happy Reading!