Sunday, April 13, 2008

his best day ever

We decided to go out and run errands as a family Friday evening...and then we got really wild and decided to splurge on dinner out. We hit the only decent Mexican restaurant in the area (good Mexican restaurants are something we have sorely missed since moving here).

Anyway, we had a wonderfully friendly waitress. When she came for our drink order, she patiently listed all the drinks the kids could choose from. The very last drink she mentioned was "Mexican orange soda"...well, they jumped all over that. Pop, in general, is a big treat for them (as their mean old mom and dad rarely let them have it), but having "Mexican" in its name just seemed to add to the thrill. And their happiness increased exponentially when the waitress brought their drinks, for it came in bottles! They'd never seen pop in bottles before (yeah, I know, we really need to let them out the cave a little more often, huh?). As their bottles were set on the table, Gray says, "It's just like beer."

We all sit and munch on chips and salsa, and then enjoy a wonderfully delicious meal. And when we've all finished, the waitress brings the kids some individually wrapped Life Savers. Gray obviously can't believe his luck, for he leans back contentedly against his seat, sighs, and says a little too loudly, "This is the best day ever. First I get drunk, and then I get candy!"

Rich and I laughed so hard we had tears streaming down our cheeks. (Of course, we were also looking around for anyone surreptitiously using their cell phones to call Child Protective Services.)

17 comments:

Joy said...

Out of the mouths of babes! Thanks for the morning giggle. :)

Eva said...

I'm giggling too! And I didn't realised how spoiled I was in Texas until I went to Illinois for college, in a small town where Taco Bell is considered Mexican food. *shudder* Colorado's not horrible, but it's not southern Texas (they do have a bunch of great Asian food here, though!-Thai, Korean, Japanese, Chinese...it's pretty awesome).

Anonymous said...

HAHA! Too funny :)

My step-daughter works in a Mexican restaurant that is...er...not the best Mexican restaurant in the area :P
But it's funny you mention the orange soda. She just moved here from Central America and their orange soda is definitely not the same orange soda we have here...and she does nothing but complain about this fact :P

chrisa511 said...

That's hilarious Debi! I swear, I hope you write this stuff down for them to read when they get older. What a great night to remember. He cracks me up :)

Unknown said...

fun times, moments like those are just awesome

CJ said...

Gray has to be my absolute favorite kid on the planet. His teenage years are going to be very interesting...

cjh

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! That sounds exactly like something Jacob would say!

I can't remember the last time I ate Mexican food (other than Taco Bell, which doesn't count). Down south, they are a dime a dozen. Not so much up north!

Jennifer said...

Hilarious!! Simple pleasures, huh?

I love Mexican food. It's probably my absolute favorite cuisine. Funny though, I hated it (unless it was Taco Bell)until after I was married! We have 6 Mexican restaurants in about a 10 mile radius. Some are better than others. Our favorite is literally right around the corner and it is so good I'm usually groaning through the meal! LOL! But I've never tried Mexican Orange Soda!

Somer said...

I love this! Sounds just like something my 9-year-old would say!

Ana S. said...

lol!

You have the most adorable kids, Debi :D

Dawn said...

That is a funny story. I've never heard of Mexican orange soda. I'm glad they enjoyed it.

take care,
Dawn

Melody said...

LOL. Glad to hear you all had a wonderful day! :D

Carl V. Anderson said...

Your kids are a regular riot! That is so funny! It is so magical how kids can get so thrilled about what seems like just a little thing. Oh to always see the world through those eyes. I certainly try, and have my moments, but not nearly enough.

Kim L said...

Lol. Its all about the little things, huh? Glad you got decent Mexican food :-)

~**Dawn**~ said...

LOL!! Thanks for sharing that with us, Debi.

Stephanie said...

Kids say the funniest things!! Drunk on orange soda is definitely the way to go!!

gail@more than a song said...

That is HILARIOUS! And I would have laughed my head off too if one of mine had done that. And it's so funny how it doesn't take much sometimes to make them so happy.
Ok, I'm noticing you haven't posted since Sunday...you didn't get "turned in" did you!
I've been a little awol myself.