Thursday, March 26, 2009

good stuff...



The blogger who receives this award believes in the Tao of the zombie chicken - excellence, grace and persistence is all situations, even in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. These amazing bloggers regularly produce content so remarkable that their readers would brave a raving pack of zombie chickens just to be able to read their words. As a recipient of this world-renowned award, you now have the task of passing it on to at least 5 other worthy bloggers. Do not risk the wrath of the zombie chickens by choosing unwisely or not choosing at all ...


The Zombie Chicken Award! I mean, come on, is this not the coolest little award ever?!! But you know what really broadens that smile on my face and in my heart? The incredibly kind words from Becky. It's not just that I admire Becky...and admire her I do. I mean, seriously. She gets more than ten times the amount read that I do. No exaggeration there. And she reviews it all! I love the amazing variety she reads...everything from picture books to classics to young adult to non-fiction. I may not be interested in reading every book she reads, but I sure as heck am interested in what she has to say about each one anyway. Yeah, she's somewhat of an addiction. :) She maintains numerous blogs, each one a wonderful place to visit. She hosts numerous challenges...and with such a wide variety, she's always got one going to match anyone's interests. (Or in the case of some us, several.) But even beyond Becky's awesome energy and sheer dynamo-ness, there's Becky's heart of gold! Yeah, I would admire all she does no matter what. But I wouldn't love her the way I do if she wasn't such a welcoming, kind, authentic sweetheart of a person! Bottom line...thanks Becky...it means the world to me that I get to call you friend.

And I must admit that I'm now going to brave facing the zombie chicken wrath. Scary, isn't it? I'm hoping the cats will help protect me, if it comes to that. Okay, but seriously, it's not that I wouldn't love to pass it on...because I can think of so many people who deserve it. Hence the problem, so many people. And I've kind of adopted the policy that I know some others have, of not passing these award along.

Okay, I realize that it's a bit hard to top the Chicken Zombie Award, but I've got a bunch more good stuff that put a smile on my face, too:

*We survived the Science Fair last night. The boys worked together on a project testing who had the cleaner mouths--them or their pets. It was the first year the school put on a science fair, and there were no judges or anything like that. It was just great fun, with lots of interesting exhibits. Some of the kids had very, very polished posters. Very few kids actually reported any sort of experiment, however, and instead made a poster presentation describing something "science-y." Everything from how the eye works to a comparison/contrasting of Jupiter and Earth to how waves are created in the oceans. Unfortunately, I'd failed to check the camera before we went and found that the battery was dead when we arrived. :(

The boys' poster was far from the most "professional" looking, as they did the writing, cutting, etc. by themselves. But everyone seemed to agree that their experiment was pretty darn cool. And Gray's hypothesis probably got more laughs than anything else there (yeah, so not the goal of a science fair project, but he kept it real anyway).

His hypothesis: We think Baker will have the most germs because he licks the floor, eats his poop, and doesn't brush his teeth.

Their experiment proved their hypothesis wrong though. Max had the most germ-y mouth, with 172 germ colonies grown from his swab; Gray followed with 163 colonies. Their pets, on the other hand, had far fewer...Baker 8 and Lucky 2. Hmmmm.

*I finished the taxes! Both state and federal. Such a relief to have that done.

*Annie's most recent poems, especially "Starwalkers"...I love that one.

*My dear friend Kara's little guy turns one-year-old today!!! (Though I'm at a complete loss to explain just how one whole year has gone by already.)

*Jean's incredible travelogue! My cousin-in-law/friend is currently in Vietnam. Her husband is teaching there for a month, and the whole family was lucky enough to get to tag along. They are seeing so many incredible sights, and she's sharing it through tons of wonderful photos and commentary.

*The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett. I'm almost done with this book :( ...but oh my gosh, I just can't tell you how much I've been loving it. As Chris was just saying yesterday, "Do you ever go into a book expecting to like it, not really knowing much of what it’s about and then you start reading it and find that you absolutely love it?" This is definitely one of those books for me!

---Tomorrow, I can hopefully add "I finished writing the 3rd Quarter Progress Report" to the list...but that means I'd better go get started on it.

14 comments:

Amanda said...

That is definitely the coolest award ever!!

That Pratchett book you mention - my cousin, who's a big fan of Pratchett, recommended that one to me. I've never read anything by him, and my cousin said it's a good place to start.

Jennifer said...

OK, the science experiment totally blew my mind! That is amazing! I've always heard that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's, but I had no idea it would be that big of a difference! Wow! And what fun for them!

Annie's poems are absolutely beautiful. Has she ever been published? Because if she hasn't, she needs to be. Absolutely brilliant girl you have there!

Hope you are having a fabulous day!

Ana S. said...

I'm afraid the Zombie chicken will come after me too :( But it shall have to face my feline army, mwahahahhahaha.

I'm totally with you on why Becky rocks :D

lol, I love the boys' science project. And you know, I kinda want to throw a parade to celebrate the fact that you love Maurice :D Not that it surprises me in the least that you do. But it just makes me soooo happy :D

Grad said...

Zombie chickens is new to me (LOL)! Loved the science fair story. Brought back lots of memories. And good for the boys doing it themselves! When I helped carry in and set up my eldest child's first science fair project, I could not believe how professional the others looked! John's was obviously done by a kid. Then I learned every other child's was done by adults. Oh, the kid who won first place was the son of the judge! (Can I demand a recount?)

Jean said...

My boys were not at all surprised by your boys' science project results. They note that the mouths of a dog and a cat are designed to kill anything put in them, which includes germs. And thanks for the plug on the blog. I put up a new "The Price Is Right" contest today, so head on over and enter. I'm going to go read Annie's poems now; I haven't been checking on her blog as often lately as I do at home.

chrisa511 said...

Must. Read. Maurice. I'm going to get it, I swear! Don't you just love the zombie chicken award :p It's my new favorite, lol. And I couldn't have praised Becky better myself! That's pefect, Debi :)

Cracking up over here at the difference between the boys' mouths and the animals mouths....We actually did this same experiment in college and it was disturbing to say the least :p

I LOVE Annie's poems! I used to write a lot of poetry myself, and I miss it now...that girl has a gift!

And congrats on finishing the taxes! Getting anything back??

Stephanie said...

You defintely deserve a Zombie Chicken!!

Gotta love the science fair experiment. Kind of gross. But I love the logic that if you eat your own poop you should have more germs!! Only boys.

Annie is amazing!!

Kailana said...

Bah, stupid blogger deleted my comment! I said that basically I was excited to read Maurice... because I am reading The Latent Powers of Dylan Fontaine right now and really enjoying it! Considering you said the same about the Pratchett book as Chris said about this book, I think I am in for a good read!

kreed said...

The kids of scientists are doomed to being some of the only kids that actually do real projects for the science fair, I think! Sounds like a great one! And it is scary that poopy dog mouths are cleaner than ours...ick!

Annie's poems are great - thanks for posting! And I can't believe Grant is one, either - where does the time go?

Carl V. Anderson said...

Knowing that dogs cannot swear, at least as far as we know, it would be obvious to me that they would have the cleaner mouths. What? That's not what the experiment was about?

Very fun award! Extremely creative. I don't blame you not passing it on though, those things are fun to get but hard to pass on without leaving a bunch of great people out OR including them all!

Melody said...

That's one cool award! Congrats, Debi!

'Wow' about the science experiment! That's completely new to me, and I was stunned by the result! ;P

I know I've said this a number of times but I'm going to say it again: Annie is amazing! :D

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Do I say Congrats on being a Zombie Chicken?? :) Anyway, it's a fun award and couldn't be a better person to get it.
What a truly hilarious science project. And Annie's poems! Debi, you really are such a lucky mom. :)

SO glad Texas doesn't have state taxes. I had to pay enough to Uncle Sam as it is. :(

Melody said...

Oops, now that I think of it, I think I had typed too fast, LOL. But still, I've to say that's one cool award! :P

Anonymous said...

Oops...you were awarded this twice.